Bona Lighthouse can be seen at the NE end of Loch Ness, on the Northern shore where the canal leaves Loch Ness on its way to Loch Dochfour. The light opened for business in 1822 and was for a while the UK’s smallest manned inland lighthouse.
The Vivat trust are planning to restore the building, which has fallen into disrepair, beginning in Spring next year. The striking octagonal building, by the world-renowned engineer Thomas Telford, has been overnight stables for horses pulling vessels along the waterway, as well as one of only a few inland lighthouses across the UK. The building will be sympathetically repaired and refurbished, giving it a new lease of life as two short-term holiday rental properties.